Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Opinion: I'm a Democrat, but Even I Have to Admit That Donald Trump is Very Loud

        If you’ve been on any kind of social media in the past few weeks, you’ve probably seen the barrage of liberal attacks on Donald Trump. They say he’s inexperienced, they say he’s emotionally unfit, they say he doesn’t know the constitution, they say he wasn’t even legitimately elected. As a lifelong Democrat, I can relate to many of these sentiments, but at the same time I feel that my fellow party members are selling our president elect short. Being an adult means seeing the world beyond childish black and white, it means we have to acknowledge the virtues of those we disagree with. So I’m just going to come right out and say it: despite his flaws, Donald Trump is very loud.
Look, I’m apprehensive about his plan to build a wall along the Mexican American border too, I think it’s unconstitutional and frankly disgusting to treat a religion like a terrorist group, and his “law and order” rhetoric harkens back to the implicit racism of the War on Drugs. But still, you’ve got to admit, this guy can yell like nobody’s business. When you see him onstage, you think “Even if he didn’t have that microphone, we’d still be able to hear him. That’s how loud he is.” His speaking volume is unparalleled in American leaders.
I don’t care what your party affiliation is, you have to respect a guy who can shout over everyone else.
I hate to admit it, but my party bungled it on this election. Bernie Sanders was a very, very loud man, I’d go so far as to say one of the loudest men I’d ever seen. But did we celebrate him for his booming voice? No, we threw him under the bus and instead chose as our candidate a woman who couldn’t shout if she had a megaphone. You blame the outcome of the election on racism? On sexism? On xenophobia? It’s a pretty thought, but any objective observer would agree: America just won’t accept a quiet president, and maybe that’s for the best.
You can argue with Trump’s policy, but you simply can’t argue with his loudness. I can’t say with total certainty that he will be the loudest president America has ever had, since so many came before the time of recorded sound, but he will definitely be the loudest President of the century.
Could Trump improve? Sure. For one, he could stop engaging in petty twitter feuds, using his extraordinary influence to cyberbully his dissenters. Or, even better, he could get into even more petty feuds and commit even more cyberbullying, but do it in all caps so that people can imagine his rumbling earthquake of a voice when reading his tweets.
Don’t think I’ll go complacently into Trump’s America. If he follows through on his racist agenda, I’ll complain. If he gets us into an ill conceived war, I’ll be on the streets protesting. If he runs the country into the ground like so many gloom-and-doom Democrats are suggesting, I’ll vote against him in the next election cycle. But for now, why can’t my fellow Democrats just stop whining and celebrate that, instead of choosing the overqualified, even tempered, politically savvy candidate, we now get to spend four years being represented as a country by a guy who is really, really loud?

No comments:

Post a Comment